Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bamboo Sheets?


Going green has officially made it to the bedroom. Sheets are usually made from cotton, silk or flannel, but now you can ask for bamboo. You can buy sheets and pillowcases made using fibers of bamboo plants -- no splinters. Bamboo is considered an eco-friendly material, since the renewable grass can grow as fast as a foot a day. Traditionally used to build furniture (and recently popular as an alternative to hardwood flooring), bamboo is relatively new to the bedding world, but it already has its fans. The fibers are soft and fine, and the sheets have a luxurious silky feel without being slippery. You can find them at such retailers as Bed Bath & Beyond, Target and Wal-Mart. Prices start at about $30.

3 comments:

Atlanta Area Window and Door Co. said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying reading through the blog. I'm also here in Atlanta looking for ways to help people "Go Green".

If you get a chance perhaps you should check out my blog. My company (Atlanta Area Window and Door) is helping Atlantans by installing energy efficient windows and doors to cut heating and cooling costs and reduce emissions.

I'll be checking back at Go Green Intown to read your tips. I appreciate what you're doing and I hope to see plenty of helpful tips posted here. Thanks!
Jaq B in ATL

Unknown said...

it might be worthwhile to do some research first on the type of bamboo that you're buying. while bamboo is a sustainable resource, the manufacturing process can be quite toxic. there are two types of processes- chemical and mechanical. the chemical process uses very harmful, toxic chemicals and is NOT considered enviro-friendly. the mechanical process is far more elaborate and more expensive. so chances are, walmart and the like are selling bamboo sheets that are actually no better for you or the environment than other types of chemically treated fabrics.

Pisces said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Sheets bamboo